The Solar Construction Enstimator will report to the Procurement Manager. Strong computer skills, good written and verbal communication plus great energy and a friendly personality are key requirements for this position. The Construction Estimator will be a self-starter who takes initiative and has a definite willingness to embrace new responsibilities as the position and
Company both grow. The role focuses on supporting primarily the Sales team in the costing of commercial and utility scale ground mount projects.
Responsibilities will include Estimating (70%) and Procurement (30%). You will attend pre-tender meetings, both in office and on site, for the purposes of scope setting and investigation for estimating. Download, organize and summarize available tender (RFP)/quotation documentation for review by Commercial and Engineering departments, review incoming technical documentation (civil, mechanical, electrical) provided by the client to determine project scope of work requirements and RFP response deliverables. Additionally, you will prepare preliminary construction schedules for labour and overhead estimating purposes, engage in value engineering activities with the Engineering department based on knowledge of available materials and technologies, and perform civil, mechanical, and electrical drawing take-off for the purpose of cost modeling based on existing and approved estimating templates (Excel-based).
You procurement responsibilities will include supporting Project Managers in administration of purchase orders and contracts, maintaining good vendor relationships, knowledge of upcoming technological developments relevant to the solar industry through research, managing the procurement database for all major equipment and balance of systems for both Canadian and US operations/estimating activities, and supporting the Engineering and Construction departments in the development, preparation and continuous improvement of subcontractor bid packages.
- College diploma or higher qualification in construction estimating (i.e. Construction Engineering Technology, Construction Estimating Certificate, etc.)
- 3-5 years minimum industry experience in North America estimating large capital / construction projects with budgets of $20M+
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Ability to read blueprints, plans and technical specifications
- Thorough understanding of both civil, mechanical and electrical construction process, standards of earthwork construction, structures, paving, grading, electrical equipment and cabling installation practices