The Energy Storage Technical Engineer is a critical team member responsible for supporting and/or leading technical aspects of energy storage project definition including engineering, construction, operation and maintenance planning, and management of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) supporting project development. This includes project conceptualization, management of design engineering, development fatal flaw analysis, equipment and vendor selection analysis, vendor and EPC negotiation and management, construction management, and operations and maintenance planning and analysis. This position will collaborate with an interdisciplinary team involved in all stages of project development and commercialization.
You will provide technical vendor reviews, qualifications to strengthen, and maintaining existing contacts of major equipment suppliers and develop new vendor relationships, understand the various battery technologies and industry practices to provide guidance to the organization on the application of technology. Educate the procurement, engineering, and operations teams on latest industry technology, and evaluate available and emerging storage technologies and communicate new technology development and risks associated with the new technology.
The Energy Storage Technical Engineer is responsible for providing direction and assist in corporate response to RFPs/RFQs regarding plant integrator, equipment and technology selection, collaborating with the Development team in the preparation and coordination of proposals, proposal materials, and other marketing efforts in support of the market segment, and ensuring the highest level of environmental health and safety in all engineering and design aspects of energy storage projects.
Additionally you will establish and maintain the engineering, design criteria and applicable standards and specifications for BESS projects, be responsible for the development, review and technical oversight of engineering requirements and design of energy storage projects, review/approve the work of consultants used on BESS projects to ensure consistent and cost-effective designs and timely delivery, support the procurement of BESS equipment by maintaining continuous interface with vendor’s technical personnel and performing technical bid evaluation to ensure compliance to specifications, and support Development to assure timely and cost-effective resolution to regulatory, permitting and technical issues associated with the execution and delivery of BESS projects.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Masters or PhD a plus
• Must have a minimum of 6 years of professional experience, with grid connected BESS or any inverter-based generation experience
• Experience performing power systems analysis in software packages such as PSS/E, ETAP or PSCAD
• Wind and/or Solar system installation or design experience is a plus
• Willingness to travel as needed, up to 50% of the time
• Experience with AutoCAD, MS Office Suite
• Knowledge of the National Electric Code
• Knowledge with California Energy Commission permitting process highly desired.
• Proven experience in design and delivery of grid scale bulk energy storage technology solutions.
• Professional Engineer (PE) a plus
Only candidates legally entitled to work in the US without restriction will be considered. No sponsorship provided.