The Power Marketing Manager will be responsible for leading the commercial power origination efforts for the U.S. solar market. Individual is expected to be highly motivated, and a high performing leader in the organization who is capable, and willing, to manage and develop other individuals to enable the team to excel in identifying, communicating, and delivering value for utility scale PV solar customers across a wide spectrum of U.S. markets.
- Deliver on target volume, revenue, and margin goals for off-take agreements from PV solar projects
- Negotiate power contracts with counterparties in collaboration with stakeholders from functions across the organization
- Identify project acquisition opportunities through close familiarity with competitors
- Explore creative deal structures to assist in differentiating product offering including super-peak energy products, firming and shaping structures, and establishing strategic partnerships with other forms of complementary generation
- Monitor the potential for arbitrage opportunities between market-based hedge arrangements and traditional PPA markets particularly in CAISO, ERCOT, PJM, and other markets
- Establish relationships with procurement, trading, and origination desks at utilities, munis, coops, C&I off-takers, investment banks and power marketers
- Drive power marketing “ideas” to definitive deliverables (financial models, term sheets, contracts) and timetables for execution
- Provide deal structure recommendations to minimize collateral requirements and support negotiation of financing arrangements
- RFP & Proposal Development - identify RFP opportunities and originate bilateral PPA targets outside formal RFP processes
Only candidates legally entitled to work in the US without restriction will be considered. No sponsorship provided.
- BA/BS Degree required, Advanced Degree preferred
- The successful candidate will have extensive previous experience leading power origination efforts and managing other individuals in this function.
- Candidate must have significant relationships and contacts across the U.S. power markets, and a familiarity with renewable energy commercial practices and evolving policies.
- A driven leader who has excelled as a hunter, possesses deep power markets expertise, and has successfully executed power purchase agreements (“PPAs”).
- Specific experience originating, pricing, structuring, and analyzing physical and financial PPAs is required.
- Experience working in CAISO, ERCOT, and/or PJM is preferred. Knowledge and contacts across market segments including IOUs, IPPs, Coops, Munis, Public Power, Government and Commercial and Industrial segments (including Data Centers) is highly preferable.
- Experience with PV solar and storage is highly desired, as is a working knowledge of evolving regulatory policies that are driving new growth market prospects, including community solar.
- 6-8+ years of experience in power origination and management roles
- Experience with PPA transactions across multiple power markets, customers, and deal structure types
- Strong commercial skills and proven “closer” (identifies, executes transactions)
- Advanced knowledge of power markets, customers, and segments in North America utility-scale solar market (IOUs, coops, munis, Commercial & Industrial companies, IPPs, government agencies, etc.)
- Understanding of concepts including: basis risk, power markets, hedging, losses, and congestion
- Ability to build strong customer relationships across organization levels
- Capable leader who can effectively manage others to high performance
- Driven, hard-working individual with high standards for self and others
- Resourceful and comfortable operating in an entrepreneurial environment
- Knowledge of and experience in over-the-counter forward markets, physical markets, and/or futures markets