The PPA Origination and Business Developer will be responsible for commercial power origination efforts and be actively involved in business development including pipeline acquisition, JV partnership, and marketing efforts related to the portfolio of utility-scale solar projects. Previous experience leading power origination efforts and managing other individuals in this function are required.
A strong understanding of power markets, and a familiarity with renewable energy commercial practices and evolving policies are needed with specific experience originating, pricing, structuring, and analyzing physical and financial PPAs is required in CAISO, ERCOT, PJM and/or MISO.
You will establish relationships with procurement, trading, and origination desks at utilities, munis, CCAs,co-ops, large wholesale energy providers, investment banks and power marketers, identify RFP opportunities and lead marketing and origination in the RFP response process for offtake agreements, including coordinating internal resources, and pricing, originate bilateral PPA targets outside formal RFP processes, negotiate power contracts with counter parties in collaboration with various types of
stakeholders, and drive power marketing “ideas” to definitive deliverables (financial models, term sheets,contracts) and timetables for execution.
Additionally you will lead business development to execute on utility-scale solar co-development partnership and/or acquisition opportunities mainly in CAISO, ERCOT and PJM; identification, qualification, valuation, due diligence, contract negotiation, and development management through Notice to Proceed (NTP) for construction.
- 5+ years’ experience in renewables preferably in power origination, development or asset management role
- Experience with PPA transactions across multiple power markets, customers, and deal structure types
- A Bachelor Degree with strong academic record from a leading undergraduate program, ideally in finance, accounting, business administration, economics or engineering
- Advanced knowledge of power markets, customers, and segments in the US utility-scale solar market (utilities, munis, CCAs, co-ops, energy traders, commercial & industrial companies, IPPs, government agencies, etc.)
- Prior experience in RFP response processes, proposal creation and/or power pricing
- Expert understanding of concepts including: basis risk, power and energy trading, hedging, losses, and congestion
- Knowledge of solar industry, regulations, market trends, business models, project development, and/or renewable project finance highly desirable
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel