The Solar Project Engineer will be responsible for the design and integration of turnkey solar installations in the NYC area ranging from 30-250kW. You will work with architects and multifamily housing developers to design customized solar solutions of new construction and existing buildings. You will also designs and install solutions for buildings to provide backup power utilizing solar PV, Energy Storage Systems, and Cogeneration technologies.
This position will require knowledge of PV system design with a focus on identifying, communicating, and solving engineering risks that may impact a project’s overall feasibility, cost, or constructability. You will work on early-stage engineering coordination and be responsible for local on-site support including interfacing with AHJs and Building Departments to support permit approvals, communication with clients on technical issues or concerns, interconnection coordination and planning with local utility, field investigation, and QA/QC of projects in construction.
The Project engineer is responsible for preparing reports and technical documents to present solar design/feasibility findings to property managers, building owners, developers, co-op/condominium boards, and other decision makers at client buildings, evaluating the economic, engineering, or pragmatic feasibility of solar PV installation projects based on architectural and MEP plans on existing or new construction buildings, and marking up building electrical riser diagrams to include solar PV system wiring and interconnections details and develop 3-Line diagrams.
Additionally you will assist the account management team in estimating and selling solar PV systems, manage diverse details from construction means and methods to contract language and legal protection, work through the technical elements on the design and implementation of solar PV systems for both the mechanical and electrical aspects of projects, ranging from $200,000 to $3,000,000. Attend pre-construction meetings owners and general contractors, and review and approve steel shop and electrical drawings from 3rd party contractors.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Building Science, Construction, Energy Analysis, Environmental Studies, or a relevant field from an accredited four-year college or university.
- 2+ years of experience designing and providing electrical and/or mechanical design on design/build PV installation projects.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Familiarity with new multifamily building design/construction processes.
- The ability to create and manage a schedule and budget to required margins.
- Experience managing vendor and client payment terms to achieve positive cash flow.
- Understanding of financial models and management of budgeting cash flow.
- Experience with design / build contracts from ground up that result in profitable construction projects.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, MS Office Suite, Sketchup, and MS Project or equivalent project scheduling software.
- Working knowledge of NEC and NYC DOB Codes.
- Familiarly with Salesforce is preferred.
- Familiar with NEC.
- MEP experience would be a big plus.
Must be legally entitled to work in the US without restriction, no sponsorship provided.