The Solar and Energy storage Engineer will be based in New Jersey with a focus on leading technical efforts for Utility scale Solar and storage projects in the US. You will provide technical solutions in
designing and sizing the optimal system for the PV+ESS projects serving as the primary engineering point of contact for technical issues as well as conduct engineering reviews and approvals for all electrical engineering issues. You will be responsible for utilizing software tools to preform engineering for battery storage, design engineering, estimates, and site conditions while assessing early stage design trade-offs for site specific and regional guidance considering factors such as DC/AC loadings, GCR (ground cover ratio), equipment, land cost, expected COD year, etc.
You will also have a strong understanding the stationary energy storage use cases and applications while analyzing solar PV plant energy production estimates to appropriately size a battery energy storage system for hybrid renewable power plants. The Engineer is responsible for deriving system sizing requirements for various battery technologies, operating restrictions, system losses, degradation rates, efficiency and periodic capacity augmentation requirements, working cross functionally between development, engineering, commercial teams and contribute to project teams throughout a project’s life cycle by working closely with EPCs and stakeholders, attending project meetings, reviewing designs, contributing to engineering specifications, providing regular design updates, informing the team of the impact of various design/cost configurations, and in general helping resolve issues that arise requiring technical expertise.
Additionally you will lead EPC RFP process and help form internal opinion to push EPC to optimal design challenging EPC assumptions, partner with key battery, inverter, enclosure/building suppliers to estimate component cost and performance for battery energy storage systems, collaborate with battery suppliers and BESS integrator partners to build investor confidence in new technology or suppliers and push down the Levelized Cost of Storage, collaborate with solar PV design specialists to co-optimize design of storage facility with the solar PV component of the projects, and attend meetings with OEMs and vendors as required to correct performance and reliability issues.
- 5+ years of experience in renewables preferably in electrical engineering and/or designing battery storage system
- A degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or another related engineering field
- Working knowledge of equipment utilized in the renewable energy sector including solar panels, inverters, structures, substation and battery systems.
- Knowledge of solar industry, regulations, market trends, business models, project development, and/or renewable project finance highly desirable
- Experience with engineering, statistical, and data visualization & analysis software such as, AutoCAD, PVSYST, Minitab, Tableau, etc.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel