The Vice President of Project Development will manage and oversee the Company’s greenfield development portfolio of primarily utility-scale solar and energy storage projects. The VP will have full P&L responsibility for the Company’s greenfield development pipeline and will be responsible for day-to-day aspects of the project development process including: site acquisition, local stakeholder engagement, permitting, transmission/interconnection, power marketing, and project monetization / financing. Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, he/she will directly manage and lead the existing development team, provide strategic direction, set development goals and budgets, and continue to build and grow the team to support the growth targets of the Company.
The VP will be expected to oversee the greenfield development pipeline with minimal oversight and ensure that projects are developed in a manner that minimizes risk, maximizes the Company’s returns, and will complete financing due diligence processes. The Company’s greenfield development business has demonstrated significant success to date, and we are seeking a dynamic and experienced development leader who can help us build upon our prior success to grow the business. To that end, the right candidate has strong fundamentals in all aspects of the project development process, is comfortable making good decisions with limited information, thinks several steps ahead, and is extremely driven to see projects to their successful completion.
The right candidate will be capable of implementing more organization and structure to support the growing business and team. Finally, it’s important that the VP rolls up his/her sleeves up and gets in the weeds with the development team – not just manages from afar. We expect the VP will be working collaboratively with developers on a regular basis to help them make decisions, plan ahead, and solve problems.
- BS degree required, MBA/MS preferred
- 15+ years of successful power generation project development experience with a minimum of 5 years of utility-scale solar or wind project experience.
- Thorough understanding of the NYISO, PJM, and ISO-NE markets – state regulations and policy, interconnection process, power marketing strategies, and siting considerations
- Detailed understanding of the permitting and interconnection processes required to successfully develop projects.
- Data driven with a detailed understanding of project financial models and an ability to translate the nuances of a financial model into smart decisions throughout the development process (land prices, build costs, capacity factors, etc)
- Ability to build relationships with people across the stakeholder spectrum – landowners, public officials, regulators, engineers, financiers, etc.
- Successful project development track record
- Keen understanding of all aspects of the development process
- Demonstrated ability to achieve objectives and financial targets
- Proven experience effectively managing a development team
- Self-starter with an ability to motivate him/her-self and his/her team to excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to travel 25%-50% of the time