As Solar R&D Engineer you will be developing new circuit formation and electrical interconnection for use in the next generation of building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) technologies. You will help strategize and shape technology platforms and solar products that integrate seamlessly into roofs and deliver exceptional energy production at a competitive cost while exhibiting your ability to deliver
innovative ideas and thrive in a start-up-like fast-paced environment.
You will be responsible for concept, testing, developing and delivery of high-volume, photovoltaic solar technology solutions through hands-on laboratory work you will help to envision, design, and prototype new circuit formations and electrical integration of PV cells and electrical components into a BIPV product, ensure all products meet performance and reliability standards through rigorous laboratory and field testing work with suppliers and collaborators to improve electrical performance of PV system and module designs across variable conditions (partial shading, etc.) and for improved manufacturability, quickly process large amounts of information, assess critical issues and resolve problems in a timely manner using critical thinking, and act as a professional resource and mentor with detailed knowledge and knowhow in product development (R&D, competitive assessment, cost, deployment in manufacturing).
- MSc or B.S. Degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Materials Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of laboratory experience in photovoltaic, semiconductor, or equivalent R&D environment
- Ability to design, optimize, and fabricate circuits of varying complexity. Direct experience with solar cell interconnection (stringing, shingling, etc.) preferred.
- Hands-on soldering experience is required. The candidate must understand what fundamentally makes a good and bad solder joint and how to test/ evaluate them.
- An understanding of functionality and integration of electrical components relevant to photovoltaic modules (solar cells, bypass diodes, optimizers, etc.)
- An understanding of common electrical failures and safety risks of PV modules and systems of various sizes
- Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis (SPICE) software and experimental and data analysis software skills (Comsol, Ansys, SolidWorks, Python, JMP) preferred
- Some manufacturing experience preferred
- Experience with defining engineering specifications for processes, testing and quality controls (SPC) for high-volume production based on customer requirement