As Microgrid Engineer you will be an electrical engineering subject matter expertise for early and late-stage development projects. Supporting a cross-functional team during technical proposal development, technical due diligence, interconnection submission and approval, and scope-lock design and detailed engineering for commercial solar and energy storage projects during the full project lifecycle you will functions as the primary technical subject matter expert for all projects under development, including the vetting of project specifications and requirements, providing technical support to the Origination team, creation and review of drawings, and review of cost estimates.
You will act as subject matter expert for the development engineering team, including design and interconnection, and provide technical support to Commercial Energy Services organization for solar and energy storage projects that will function in an islanded scenario, develop and maintain technical standards and tools to be used by internal and external engineering partners, scope current limited sources to provide resiliency during an outage, perform and review calculations and modeling related to conductor and equipment sizing, short-circuit and arc-flash analysis, protection and overcurrent coordination, etc.
Additionally you will architect resilient and microgrid solutions balancing customer needs and constructability, work with controls architecture of relaying systems, building management systems, lighting controllers, develop and maintain relationships with AHJs, electrical utilities, and vendors to stay current on codes, standards, new technologies, jurisdictional/utility requirements, and industry best practices, support cost reduction initiatives and project estimation efforts while maintaining quality and compliance with national, local, and customer-specific requirements, mentor other team members to develop individual skills, and demonstrate ethics and professionalism at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other Engineering plus relevant experience related field; Master’s preferred
- Min 5 years experience (or equivalent) in:
- Backup power generation
- the renewable energy electric industry
- renewable energy project development, including permitting, real estate, and interconnection, Bachelor's Degree in related field – Engineering, Construction or related field
- Working knowledge of relevant codes and standards, including National Electrical Code (NEC), National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), International Building Code (IBC), etc
- Fluency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- AutoCAD, other CAD software
- Electrical PE Certification or path to certification a plus
- Project experience to include project development and permitting, conceptual and detailed design, project engineering, scheduling, cost estimating, procurement, and contracts
- Excellent technical understanding of grid-tied photovoltaic systems, commercial energy storage technologies and microgrid control systems including: inverters, monitoring & communications, and energy management technologies
- Experience designing and building PV and energy storage systems preferred
- Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to interface as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval, including witness testing and site commissioning
- Experience executing engineering services agreements
- Strong knowledge and experience in building electrical system design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying and/or overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, panel boards, and SCADA and protective systems for low and medium voltage systems
- Inform preliminary scoping, cost and design of substations
- Knowledge of electrical principles including ohm's law, 3-phase power, voltage drop, power factor, electrical fault type, effecting grounding, transformer theory, and grid integration
- Experience with performing load calculations, short-circuit, and coordination studies. ETAP (or similar) software proficiency preferred
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies