As Solar and Energy Storage Developer you will help manage the existing portfolio and originate new projects to help expand the pipeline with a goal of reaching over a 1GWac. The Project Development Manager will manage 4 – 10 projects in various stages of development from inception/acquisition to financial closing and you will have overall project development responsibilities in all aspects of solar and storage project development including but not limited to feasibility assessment, due diligence, contract negotiations, and management of all third-party contractors and consultants.
You will be responsible for conducting project due diligence including site visits, contract and energy yield analysis reviews, and site suitability assessment using software and publicly available tools, evaluating project feasibility based on regulations, risks, permitting requirements, incentives, economics, and development timing to reach financial close, managing project budgets and schedules to deliver timely and successful projects, and working with engineers in all stages of project design including conceptual and advanced system design, considering regulatory codes, siting, permitting and technical support during development and construction phase.
Additionally, you will prepare and submit land use permitting applications, attend and present materials at neighborhood workshops and public meetings, coordinate and manage external resources such as environmental, civil and electrical engineer consultants, geotechnical and topographic surveyors, major equipment vendors, and other subject matter experts as needed to support project development, review and negotiate project contracts including land lease and purchases, EPC and
O&M contracts, tax abatements, IAs, and PPAs to ensure compliance with their terms, assist in preparation of RFP bid proposals, assist with technical training to other team members and new employees, and monitor trends in PV and BESS technology and attend webinars and conferences.
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Solar Engineering, Finance, Planning or another similar discipline or direct experience in project development & project management
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of professional experience
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in the solar industry developing or managing utility-scale solar projects
- Experience with utility-scale energy storage (BESS) projects highly preferred
- Technical knowledge of production yield assessment, interconnection study processes, PPA solicitations, and project design as they relate to development requirements
- Experience with permitting processes in a public-facing role with local permitting agencies and AHJs
- Excellent organization and communication skills. Must be able to clearly articulate and identity project risks and solutions in an objective manner
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Detail-oriented, proactive and assertive while being a team player
- Ability to self-start and work independently, but ask for support when needed
- Project Management skills (e.g. GANTT schedules and project budgets)
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Willingness to travel as needed, up to 20-25% of the time
- Work experience in Southeastern or Southwestern U.S. preferred, Geographic location can be flexible