As Structural Engineer you will create drawings used by contractors for permits and construction as well as perform structural analysis of buildings and structures that support the solar PV systems. The ideal candidate will have experience working with commercial and utility scale PV systems, be detailed-oriented, and excels when working in teams.
This role works within a strong engineering culture focused exclusively on the solar energy industry. The company's work runs the gamut of engineering support and services across multiple disciplines and the company culture emphasizes teamwork along with personal and professional growth.
- You will work alongside our in-house Structural PE to generate the solar industry’s best structural design, analysis, and calculation packages.
- Perform structural analysis for building structures and solar mounting systems such as ballasted roof, attached roof, ground mount, and elevated canopy/carports.
- Produce required structural analysis documentation for the approval of solar permits.
- Determine and prepare wind and seismic calculations to ensure the integrity and compliance of the photovoltaic mounting systems
- Use AutoCAD to generate drawings and sketches.
- Lead or participate in project meetings and conference calls.
- Perform on-site structural inspections and gather information on as-built conditions.
- Work cross functionally with other teams within and outside the engineering department to ensure clients’ needs and internal deadlines are met.
- Degree in Structural Engineering or related field.
- 2+ years of relevant structural design experience in a variety of commercial building projects.
- Willing and able to conduit site visits to gather information on existing structures.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE).
- Experience with various structural software packages for analysis and design such as RAM Connection, TEDDS, ETABS, SAP.
- Analysis of buildings and multi-level parking garages.
- Calculation of all kinds of loads acting on a given structure (wind load, seismic load, snow load, and combinations these loads per code, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of engineering standards, codes, and other applicable state and federal guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a dynamic fast pace environment.
- Valid driver’s license
- Economical and cost conscious design of concrete pads, foundations, and structures (for inverter stations, switchgear pads, etc).
- Review of and coordination with solar racking system supplier, including but not limited to; racking system components, structures, and foundations.
- Familiarity with, and eventual mastery of, solar racking manufacturer’s designs and specifications.
- Experience in electrical pole design.
- Expertise in local building code requirements (IBC) and live loads (wind, snow, etc.).
- Geotechnical engineering knowledge and experienced in interpreting geotechnical reports, analysis of soil-structure interaction, soil corrosion, bearing capacity, swell/settlement, expansive soil, earth pressures, pavement section design, frost heave, slope stability, underpinning, and shoring design.
- Background in steel design, concrete design, aluminum design and cold formed steel framing system analysis and design.
- A background in surveying and coordinate systems.
- Interfacing closely with development, engineering, and construction teams.