The Business Development Manager will support the national sales and origination team. The BDM’s primary focus is to originate, develop and execute solar, wind, and battery storage projects for customers in assigned regions of the US. BDM will manage strategic client relationships with astute solar consultation and customer servicing throughout from first origination all the way through to commercial operation. Ideal candidates will be experienced with solar sales, structuring high-value project transactions, and portfolio transactions, building long-standing relationships resulting in repeat business.
Successful Business Development Managers possess an honest, entrepreneurial mindset. They will be supported by the operations, engineering, construction, business development, marketing and policy teams providing turnkey distributed generation offerings.
- Develop and maintain new and existing relationships with property owners as well as energy/facility/property managers, leading to solar, wind and storage project exploration and PPA/Site Lease execution.
- Originate new accounts, contacts and opportunities
- Work closely with clients to understand and manage substantive issues around financial, legal, energy, technical and tax aspects of solar and storage projects
- Provide customers with market insight and strategy of how projects should be completed
- Origination and development stages of the sales cycle maintaining consistent volume and balance across project types, markets, customer types and project sizes
- Monitor market conditions by participating in industry policy groups, maintaining relationships with policy stakeholders and keeping up-to-date with market changes and news; utilize internal tools and resources to stay informed on other national solar markets
- Lead RFP responses in close-coordination with internal support teams across a variety of clients and different offerings
- Work with project development, financing and legal teams to negotiate and close project contracts such as Power Purchase Agreements and Site Lease Agreements
- Foster an environment of genuine interest in impact on sustainability as well as a cohesive teamwork that delivers best-in-class service and superior results to clients
- 2+ years of experience in solar/renewable energy industry
- Solid track record of C&I or community solar project sales
- Success negotiating and executing complex third-party owned project transactions
- Comprehensive understanding of project and structured finance
- Ability to structure complex multi-site, multi-market project portfolios
- Ability to continuously prioritize high-value tasks, opportunities and processes to maintain project momentum
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, clearly communicating sales strategy/goals
- Success closing sales with large technical, construction and/or financial products with long sales cycles that require relationship building, lead generation, and navigation of complexity.
- Understanding of key quantitative business concepts, including both probabilistic thinking and financial metrics (NPV, IRR, etc).